I’m 32. I’ve got a number of goals laid out ahead of me. Some short term and others are so far down the road that I can’t see the obstacles that litter my path, I just know where I want to end up.
I’ve decided to lay them out here for the following reasons:
- Accountability. There is nothing that holds your feet to the fire quite like announcing to the world that you are going to do something.
- Networking. You never know who is reading what and when, and I may just stumble across someone who can make these goals more attainable.
- I want to know what your goals are. So I’m showing you mine, now you show me yours.
- Record keeping. Presumably, I can one day look back at this and see what I’ve accomplished since the time of this post, and maybe give pause and consider what in the hell am I thinking?
So here they are, in an attempt at keeping them ordered chronologically:
- Run 7K (That’s tonight, legs and lungs willing)
- Run a 1/2 marathon – June 17th, 2012
- Participate in at least 5 of these this year. (runs hosted by MRA)
- Build a library in my home. An impressive one. Wing back chairs and Mahogany wood, and books of all shapes, sizes, ages and content. Books are music for the eyes.
- I’d like to be mortgage free by November 22nd, 2019 (my 40th birthday)
- Charitable fundraising. I’ve given this one some thought. I was thinking I’d like to raise $1,000,000 by my 40th but I believe that’s a stretch, even for me. I fully believe in go big or go home but considering I still work full time I’d like to raise $500,000 by then. Obviously, my charity of choice would be Pancreatic Cancer Research. To date, I’ve raised just over $100,000 for various groups and charities. $400,000 to go! (Here’s where the networking comes into play, anyone?)
- Retirement. I’ve been working full time since April of 1997 (Just a wee 17 years old) meaning I’ve been in the work force for nearly 15 years. I want to be retired by 2029. Lord, that seems so far away. By then, my daughter will be 30 (say WHAT? – Can’t wait to see what she becomes. Amazing, to be sure) I’ll be young enough to travel and enjoy the time I have left. This is non-negotiable. (Ok, maybe 2034 – but that’s it). By the time 2029 rolls around, I will have been in the work force for 32 years. How old I am right now. I can’ even fathom it.
- $1,000,000 Piggy banking on goal #6, I figure 18 years is plenty of time to raise $1,000,000. Let’s do this together.
So in a nutshell, I want to be a better, fitter and debt free. I love my life as it is, and all the people who enrich it. It’s hard to imagine improving on that, but I definitely can improve on me.
Well, they are out there. Now to git ‘er done.
What goals do you set? How do you remain accountable?